SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cavalier Peterson 36?
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013

sow1ld is on a distinguished road
Re: Cavalier Peterson 36?

Hi there Hayden from Wellington. I own a cav36 &my parents use to own one also. There where about 30of them built & I rate them highly. Thy're really well built and I have never heard of any of them having issuess with being balsa core. As with all grp boats they did suffer from osmosis but almost all of them have peeled or cured and vinylesterd (prevents) osmosis.
I cruise mine in summer and race in winter both fully crewed and also 2handed. Around the short courses thyre quite a powerful boat to pilot and do require you to work but on longer legs coastal and offshore thy're a doodle and really enjoyable to sail with effortless daily miles.
After 6, 000nm offshore & coastal our worst days run was 135nm (motoring) & 192nm best. Expect daily averages of 160 to 175nm
Despite what blue water boats say they truely are at their best upwind. In the light with a no1 you'll sail away from most 36footers and as it gets breezier that lead should get bigger. We have yet to be beaten by the hanse37 around the cans.
However dont expect to hold on to a jboat or a carbon planning boat downwind in 25knots. The cav36 will plane but it needs to be poked with a big stick to do so.
Overall its a boat that will surprise many people with its speed offshore, ability to point to the sky upwind and ease to cruise with the family (we have a 10week old & a four year old)
Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook