SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting tale of a captain who abandoned vessel
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting tale of a captain who abandoned vessel

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Oh don't let your responsibilities get in the way of a race. No way, just leave your boat on the beach for others to deal with...

...salvage arrangements be made. Again he is not taking responsibility for his actions...

...Well it is not the Fire department's job to tow his boat, and would likely open them to liability. Again trying to shirk responsibilities off on someone else...

...I doubt he will show back up to clean up or pay for his salvage. Does not seem to be in his character from what we have seen so far. And yes if he needs to he should be the one taking a sawz-all to it if need be, or at least interrupting his busy racing schedule to manage the job. Again I don't see any trace of admirable actions on his part. After all it is just easier to drive away in a nice air conditioned RV. Why do you seem so happy to see him shirk his responsibility?
You might want to re-read the story a bit more closely...

From the article:

Quote:

Mr. Heldenbrand arrived in Falmouth on Tuesday, planning to salvage his boat. He was in Georgia when he found out about her unlikely reappearance...

Mr. Heldenbrand is approaching the salvage operation methodically. "I need to see the damage, weigh the cost," he said. "I've got to get this boat off the beach, then I've got to be smart about what I do with it. I've got my RV here, and the boat is here, and I need to get the boat down south somehow, and I need to get the RV down south, too. I haven't figured out how to do [both] yet, but I'll figure it out."

Mr. Heldenbrand won't let salvage and repairs to Running Free interrupt his race schedule. He plans to be at the starting line in four weeks for that race in England, even though his original transportation plans have necessarily changed.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook