SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting tale of a captain who abandoned vessel
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013

sailvayu is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting tale of a captain who abandoned vessel

Not to throw this thread off track but this whole discussion makes me believe that insurance should be a requirement. I know many will not agree but if you are going to go on an "adventure" then you should be able to pay for the aftermath if things go wrong. I keep reading these stories of boats stuck on the beaches and the owners have no money to pay for the removal so who pays? the tax payers do thats who. When you drive a car you have to have insurance to protect other drivers and the government. Ever run into a stop sign? you will get a bill to replace it from the town and your insurance pays it. Pretty simple. I am not a fan of mandatory anything but the more this type of thing happens the more it seems the answer is the owners need to take responsibility and insurance is one way to do that. There is nothing wrong with taking risks and having adventures it is the American way but the problem comes when people do this and then let others have to deal with the mess left over. If these owners had insurance this would be a non issue. Just thinking out loud here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook