SailNet Community - View Single Post - Main sheet oday 23
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: Main sheet oday 23

I used to sail an Oday 23 when I lived in Savannah. These are lovely little boats which sail quite well. My recollection is that the factory set up had a the mainsheet attached to a small wire pigtail on the backstay and that the backstay is located off center on the transom. This was a pretty mediocre set up in that you could not being the boom in all the way without over tightening the leech of the mainsail and putting a lot of load on backstay.

Shortly after I started using the boat, we began experimenting with alternative set-ups. I initially made up a wire bridle, which was installed between the two stern cleats and which acted as a traveller. I had sort lines lead from the mainsheet block allowing me to bring the lead slighly above the centerline. It was reasonably effective and took the load off of the backstay.

That worked wildly better than the factory layout, but still had problems; the lead angle was still not very good, the mainsheet block would drop onto the tiller and beat it up, and it was hard to release and tighten the mainsheet cam cleat in light air. I added a small piece of shock chord from the becket on the block lead to the pigtail on the backstay which helped a lot, but was still far from ideal. The plan had been to add a traveler on the bridge deck, but we never got around to purchasing or installing one.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook