SailNet Community - View Single Post - Are ALL Sellers LYING MORONIC DOUCHBAGS??
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Re: Are ALL Sellers LYING MORONIC DOUCHBAGS??

Hey,

A few more or less random thoughts:

-I keep hearing that it's a buyer's market, that if you don't like the boat you're currently looking at, then just walk away because another boat is right around the corner, that boat's are going for penny's on the dollar, etc.
-But when you hear from someone who is actually looking to buy a boat, they can't seem to find a decent one.

-When I was looking to purchase an inexpensive, production type 35ish racer / cruiser (could it really be 6 years ago?) I saw a bunch of duds from bunch of dud brokers. Then I got a little smarter. I started asking the hard questions like what does the engine compartment look like, and to please send me pictures, etc. I was honest with the broker that I was REALLY going to buy a boat, but not a POS. I asked him to not waste my time and his time by showing me a POS but talking it up like it was great. Some brokers were good at using code words, like 'just needs a good cleaning', or 'sails need updating' (if the sails need updating you can be sure that lots of other things need work too.

-Most brokers did give me the information I needed and that saved me hours of driving.

-The boat I did purchase was far from perfect, but was good enough from condition, price, performance ,etc, to make me happy.

Good luck,
Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook