SailNet Community - View Single Post - ssb v.satphone ?who's the winner
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013

windward54 is on a distinguished road
Re: ssb v.satphone ?who's the winner

A dipole antenna is a center-fed wire, usually with two legs of equal length and the legs extend out in opposite directions. Usually the length of the dipole is cut to match 1/2 wavelength, so there would be a 1/4 wavelength on each leg.

Being away from the dock and out in the ocean, there is no way to repair the Gam. It goes up and down easily, but one can't replace the feed line without cutting into the casing. When moisture got into my feed line somehow, the entire feed line carbonize. The only way to repair the antenna was to ship it back to the manufacturer. I will give the Gam people credit for their customer service. The antenna was repaired and returned quickly, but it still took about a month. So when you are away from the dock on an extended cruise, hard to get repairs done as you can’t ship the antenna back.

I still have my Gam and keep it for a spare. It really does work very well and I have suggested the Gam to people that were going to be coastal cruising where if there were to be a problem, they could ship the antenna back. The antenna really is a good product.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook