SailNet Community - View Single Post - Are ALL Sellers LYING MORONIC DOUCHBAGS??
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Re: Are ALL Sellers LYING MORONIC DOUCHBAGS??

Well you found out the hard way ; -

There are liars.

There are dammed liars

Then there are people selling boats.

Ok this is not universally true and I looked at boats that had been honestly described and talked to brokers where after a little probing the broker came up with things like;-

"The owner has not been aboard for 18 months"

"The owner can't drop the price, that is what he owes the bank."

"No I have not actually seen the boat."

It is definitely worth having a checklist of questions and to ask for some specific pics of anything you might have concerns about.

But that won't protect you from someone who just lies to get you there. I travelled a couple of hundred miles to look at boat that was described as 'ready for the water' and 'on a roadworthy trailer' There were holes in the deck and topsides, the trailer had no tow hitch and all tires were flat. I did not even get out of the car. The pictures he sent must have either been from an earlier age or of another boat.

However there are many good brokers around here are two that dealt very fairly with me and saved me from making pointless trips.

Dave McCall Maritime Yacht Sales USVI. He flew to another island and took many extra pictures for me.

Advantage Yacht Sales of Indiantown. They answered questions very honestly and in some cases hinted that the boat had just been put on the market and that while the price was clearly unrealistic the seller needed to 'marinate' for a year or so when the price would tumble.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook