SailNet Community - View Single Post - Backing up (or not)
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Backing up (or not)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainForce View Post
I appreciate your wisdom with this statement. It's a benefit of the Maxprop to use the same leading edge of the blade in forward and reverse. So, in theory you would have the same prop walk in reverse as forward. I think that is only the license of salesmanship that promotes the statement of "No prop walk". Of course the prop walk in reverse is accentuated by not having the prop wash over the rudder and that still stands true with the Maxprop in reverse. The Maxprop only has no prop walk in reverse to the degree that there is no prop walk in forward, but, of course, there is prop walk in forward. Final answer, the Maxprop has far less prop walk, but not with "no" prop walk.

I haven't addressed the fact that you used the terrm prop wash. I just figured that was intended to be prop walk for you would never move without prop wash!
Thanks for the explanation Force. After my last post, I looked it up and saw the explanation you just gave for how it works. Pretty cool.

When I'm at the boat this weekend, I'll do the prop-walk test in the slip to see how much push we're getting in reverse.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 07-16-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook