SailNet Community - View Single Post - ssb v.satphone ?who's the winner
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road
Re: ssb v.satphone ?who's the winner

Do you currently use Globalstar? Do you know someone who does?

I have followed Globalstar for the last few years. They always seem to be in a race to get satellites up to fill in their coverage gaps. Their pricing is incredibly cheap compared to the other sat vendors. Almost to good to be true. Then they have this calculator to use to time the start your calls during time of best coverage. It makes me really skeptical.

If Globalstar really does have a quality solution it would be tough to argue against them, damn cheap. I need to make this same decision in two years time prior to being the Caribbean. We will need quality voice comms back to the states.

I would need some good referrals before I would take a leap with Globalstar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
I know many, including Btrayfors, recommend against, "cutting a perfectly good backstay." There are a few options around that, but I will stay out of that conversation as he is the expert. He has always been open to help me so you might consider dropping him a PM or asking him to join this conversation.

I agree that they best option is both. However, you may find many of the cruisers nets are run on vhf every morning, not HF. I listen to the one in Marathon everyday on CH 68 for example. And you don't have to have a HF for C Parker.

Marine Weather Center - Bahamas & Caribbean Marine Weather Services

Globalstar, Inc. :: Worldwide Satellite Voice and Data Products and Services for Customers Around the Globe

I still say if choosing one, in today's age and given your intended cruising area, Sat Phone. But you have to make that decision.

Brian

Last edited by kellysails; 07-16-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook