SailNet Community - View Single Post - Jeanneau Attalia
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013
Not quite Senior Member

Waymar83 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Waymar83
Re: Jeanneau Attalia

OK,

So we went racing the last two week-ends. We have one of the smallest boats in the fleet. I am new to racing so the whole rules of racing thing are a work in progress (When cruising, I just tend to avoid boats on the water).

The crew is new to sailing for the most part but everyone is getting the hang of tacking, gybing and hiking on the rails. Timing is getting better. I have original sails (1983). The mainsail is probably still fine but the Genny is "baggy" so needs to be either recut or replaced. My issue is boat speed. What can I expect in 10-15 kts (race last week-end)and in 15-20kts (this past week-end). She sailed really well balanced, the hull (and keel) are fine (just redone). We had a current against us on part of the course but the speed according to the GPS gave us from 4.5 to 5.5 for some of the time and 5.5 to 6.5 (which seemd OK). Only once did it briefly tip over 7. OK, so the waves are on the bow for the upwind leg (but only 1-2 meters or so these last two weeks). What gives? Marty, Jens?

PS winds were from the east, here is the course: the longest leg of the course is the tack up to the eastern-most mark, which is also against a current and against the waves and the run on the way back (but we have no pole or spinnaker so that was annoying). http://www.barbadoscruisingclub.org/...EGATTA2013.pdf

Waymar - Jeanneau, Attalia
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook