View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: Docking for Dummies

I have the same boat as you.

Can you better explain your docking situation? This is what I've got:
Docking Diagrams - AlexAndChristine's Photos | SmugMug

Our boat has a large freeboard for a boat it's size, so any wind over 10 knots will push it around quite a bit. This is especially true in reverse at slow speeds, like when you're coming out of a slip.

I can't spring out of my slip into my preferred orientation and end up going forwards, so I sometimes head out in reverse.

I also have started to push my boat into reverse rather than using the engine. This eliminates prop walk and gives good steerage at low speeds. Obviously this depends heavily on the dock arrangement and how comfortable you are at jumping onto the foredeck of a (very slowly) moving boat.

I often use spring lines on linear docks, but don't find them helpful in my marina slip. This is why understanding fully your dock (are you port or starboard tie, is someone next to you, what is the prevailing wind condition) will all matter.

I will say that our boats go in reverse quite well above 2 knots and are easy to steer and control. This is good to keep in mind if reversing out of a long fairway is going to be your best option.