SailNet Community - View Single Post - ssb v.satphone ?who's the winner
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Re: ssb v.satphone ?who's the winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by windward54 View Post
A dipole antenna is a center-fed wire, usually with two legs of equal length and the legs extend out in opposite directions. Usually the length of the dipole is cut to match 1/2 wavelength, so there would be a 1/4 wavelength on each leg.

Being away from the dock and out in the ocean, there is no way to repair the Gam. It goes up and down easily, but one can't replace the feed line without cutting into the casing. When moisture got into my feed line somehow, the entire feed line carbonize. The only way to repair the antenna was to ship it back to the manufacturer. I will give the Gam people credit for their customer service. The antenna was repaired and returned quickly, but it still took about a month. So when you are away from the dock on an extended cruise, hard to get repairs done as you canít ship the antenna back.

I still have my Gam and keep it for a spare. It really does work very well and I have suggested the Gam to people that were going to be coastal cruising where if there were to be a problem, they could ship the antenna back. The antenna really is a good product.
Thanks for the explanation. I always thought that a dipole was an antenna with two legs (which the GAM has) that are not necessarily spread out in opposite directions. I note that GAM themselves call it a "split-wire" antenna.

Also I believe that fixing a GAM whilst on a voyage would not be too different from repairing any backstay antenna if corrosion set in at any point. The feed line is after all just normal co-ax, or at least I thought it was). I guess you didn't want to mess with the original construction of the GAM but if I did cut-n-splice to get it working at sea, I'm sure that GAM would be able to put my mods right if/when they got it for repair.

Good to know they still offer good support.

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook