SailNet Community - View Single Post - Docking for Dummies
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013

jephotog is on a distinguished road
Re: Docking for Dummies

Thanks for this thread as I have a lot to learn in this area. I have been tempted to be post a question on "Close Quarter Maneuvering"

I too am working on my docking skills. It is tough because I don't get out in a diesel powered boat often enough as Captain. As a renter I am also in a different boat in a different slip each time, which poses different challenges. I have had the opportunity though in getting checked out to see some techniques from different instructors.

Each slip poses different challenges. Even the same boat in the same slip can have different challenges based on the conditions. From one location I sail out of the boat is all the way at the root of the slip, so there is no room to swing at backing out. In this boat I just reverse all the way down the slip.

The other technique I like is T37s of a burst of power in reverse to get reward momentum then neutral. One thing i do before this is to use the stern dockline first to suck the aft end to compensate for the stern walk before the burst of power.

One trick i was taught during my last checkout was FWP meaning Forward, Wheel, Power for the order of changing direction. First step is to change the transmission to Forward or reverse then turn the wheel then add power. I needed all the help I could get that day as there was probably less than 40 feet between slips for a 33 foot boat.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook