SailNet Community - View Single Post - Just Bought a 1967 35 Alberg Ericson Sloop
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013

dokimball12 is on a distinguished road
Re: Just Bought a 1967 35 Alberg Ericson Sloop

Sorry for not a faster reply, but I just found out about a lot of the gory details this weekend. I'm doing a total redesign. Did a partial rip out over the weekend. Got rid of the dinette area and replaced it with a bench for my battery bank which gives me a foot or 2 of more space. Keeping the double bunk, cabinets and galley area. Got rid of the bathroom sink, (who needs 2 when one is 5 feet away?) Turning the toilet from stern to bow to port to starboard. (How do you go in these...?) No doors. Replacing and reinforcing bulkheads. Nice design. A double support under the mast at 10 inches wide with space in between for my tanks and gear. Laying 3 by 10 upon the hull and support to the top. No walls just screen, or lattice to help ventilation. Very solid and practical Leaving the mid bulkhead alone except shortening the port side so I don't have to turn sideways. Gutting the the V berth and redesigning for pantry/tool storage. All being done while being conscience of balance and weight.
Moving the gauges. Replacing and maybe moving the chain plates. Adding ventilation and solar.
Foundation is good along with all of the mechanics, but the interior and exterior are a mess which is just the way I like it.
Having a blast. Just like this old house.
Where I need advice:
Chain Plates . It has been suggested to move them outside and lay up on the hull?
Steering Wheel- Takes up too much space and want to bring it back to tiller, any help?
Shower - Forward hatch for head room and access to gravity, solar, and rain shower. I will have to curtain and water proof the area. Draining to bilge should work?
I appreciate any input or suggestions.
This is no longer your parents boat from the sixties that sleeps six. This is going to be a Blue water cruising boat that never sleeps.

"You know what the first rule of flying is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook