SailNet Community - View Single Post - Docking for Dummies
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Re: Docking for Dummies

My former slip had 38 feet from piling to piling and the boat is 44 about LOA with the dingy. The slip was in a very precarious spot that required me to enter the basin, go past the slip, put the bow in the haulout pit, reverse to port about 100 degrees, complete the turn going forward with a hard turn to starboard about 80 degrees for a 180, then hard to port at 90 degree pointing the bow into the slip. Fortunately it was well protected and not much current to speak of. However every once I. a while you would get 15 + knot winds in there on the beam and the added challenge of a boat docked across from the slip on Sunday waiting to be pulled.

Leaving was much easier, reverse to port 90, prop walk helped here, then straight out the basin.

It made for good close quarter maneuver practice

Now our slip is a straight shot, couldn't be easier! I hope I don't lose those skills

The point with all that explanation, don't be afraid to gun it for a second or two to get the bow pointed where it needs to go and learn how to use prop walk to your advantage.

Cheers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook