SailNet Community - View Single Post - First time singlehanding, bad things happen, the sound of breaking fiberglass, etc
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: First time singlehanding, bad things happen, the sound of breaking fiberglass, et

Don't get bummed about the stainless. If you're OK putting out the money, there are shops that can fab a new one. The fact that the boat is out of production is irrelevant.

I know nothing about the folks in your area, but this might be a start:

Stainless steel fabricators in South San Francisco, CA | South San Francisco Stainless steel fabricators - YP.com

Near me (in NJ), there is a place that specializes in stainless steel for marine purposes. They make the flying bridges for the big fishing boats, stainless steel rod holders ("rocket launchers") for center console boats, stainless steel floating docks and railings, etc. A place like that can knock out a bow rail in no time.

I'd call some of the places above, explain what you need, and if they don't do what you need, ask for a recommendation.

You may also be able to find someone to repair that section. I'm not as certain about that, because of the kink, but it may be possible. The fabricators above may be able to remove the bow rail and fix it or, if you are OK with the aesthetics, may be able to sister in a piece.

OK, so now all hope isn't lost. Your baby can be brought back to close to her original appearance, and possibly even better than before. Now let's talk about single-handing. I'm still a novice, so I can't give you advice drawn from years of experience, so take this all with a grain of salt, but you did fine under the circumstances. I'm not sure I would have tried single-handing the first time in 15+ winds, because of the freeboard of my boat. I would just get blown around, and I'd be panicing. I also probably wouldn't have tried to tie off alone in those conditions. That being said, I applaud your confidence in TRYING it...you got farther than I would have. You also just learned some very valuable lessons, including how to leave a wharf.

I share your concerns about tethers. I am afraid all it will do is get me tangled up. To what were you clipping in?

In the end, I can understand why this would have shaken your confidence. But I think, with all due respect, that you're being too hard on yourself. You got home! You didn't have to call for a tow, and the only boat or other property that was damaged was your own. That's a good start.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook