SailNet Community - View Single Post - Just Bought a 1967 35 Alberg Ericson Sloop
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Just Bought a 1967 35 Alberg Ericson Sloop

I changed my chainplates to outboard. Used 2" x 1/4" 304 s.s. They have worked out very well. IMO, the 304 is as good as 316 for this. I have seen very little corrosion. Shrouds did not even need adjustments to length. The glass buildup along the bulkheads is plenty thick enough so you don't need to do any additional thickening. I'd be careful removing the bulkheads that create the hull structure where the chainplates are. The glass is 1/2 " thick on the topsides of the hull but I wouldn't want to have chainplates attached with no structural hull form right next to it. I welded up plates that slip tightly over each chainplate that wrap around the top and side of the toerail so that only about 1-1/2" projects up above them. These stop any constant small movement that could weaken the plates over time and also serve to shield the plates from rubbing and catching on anything.

Though the hull is very thick by modern standards, the tabbing of bunks, bulkheads, etc. was designed into the hull's structure, removing that structure may be a mistake.

One thing you may want to consider is fuel capacity. I am going to do away with my port side berth and install a second 35 gal permanent fuel tank there. The 24 gal. standard tank in these is not adequate for extended trips. With 70 gallons aboard (w/2- 5 gal containers), the range increases to around 600 miles. Carrying a lot of portable fuel containers is a PITA.

Last edited by smurphny; 07-17-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook