SailNet Community - View Single Post - Solar charge controller question
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 07-17-2013 Thread Starter
copacabana

Solar charge controller question

It seems my solar panels are not charging the batteries (again!) and I suspect I may have to replace my controller. The panels check out OK and the batteries are fine. I'm going to try a last attempt to troubleshoot it, but the controller is more than 20 years old and perhaps on its last legs...

I started shopping for controllers and I came across some reasonably-priced ones that are not marketed as "marine" solar controllers. It seems the big market here is telecommunications and signaling (think of those posts with a panel, battery and controller mounted on top). I have found a "smart" controller that is rated 10 amp and can handle up to 130w of solar panels. My electrical system is simple- two 65w panels on the hard dodger and one big house battery (160amp). I don't think I need a lot of bells and whistles; just something to regulate the charge going to the battery so I don't overcharge it. Would I be a fool going with one of these controllers? Bear in mind that these are usually mounted outdoors in plastic boxes, so I don't think they are especially delicate. Is there something special about the so-called "marine" ones? I'm in Brazil so don't tell me about all the great deals at West Marine! I have to either mail order one from the US or find something local.

Thanks in advance.

Vindö 50
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome