SailNet Community - View Single Post - Do you wear a life jacket?
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road
Re: Do you wear a life jacket? So here's one for you...

Great point.

Interesting situation...I would wear one leaving the dock and again coming back into the dock. And any trips forward on the bow I would toss it on. I think if in the cabin, where most of the time is spent, I would take it off. The powerboaters that I know would smirk a bit "wise ass sailor" they would think but not an issue. They have all seen me come into and leave the dock with one on. I am in the minority in our marina in this regard, maybe 10% at most wear them. It is sensitive though, hmmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
I wear my inflatable vest like I wear a seatbelt. It's pretty much automatic and very automatic if I'm out alone. I also wore it automatically when racing; not everyone chose to, but no one made fun of me or anything like that either.

Last week I was invited to go out on a good friend's powerboat. Although I've known him for a long time, I'd never been out on the boat with him before. I automatically planned to put on my inflatable vest, but thought twice about it, wondering if it would make him think I thought he was incompetent if I showed up wearing a life vest, so I left the vest in the bag. The trip was completely uneventful and he was in every way a competent seaman, but I'm curious; what would you have done in this circumstance - wear the vest or not?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook