SailNet Community - View Single Post - Just Bought a 1967 35 Alberg Ericson Sloop
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013

dokimball12 is on a distinguished road
Re: Just Bought a 1967 35 Alberg Ericson Sloop

No, I'm not removing the bulkheads, I'm reinforcing them. You have a 13 inch step that hardly has any support except for plywood and hull tabbing. I'm laying down strips of marine along the hull (10 x 3") and beefing up both hull and mast support. Turning one bulkhead into 2 and utilizing the space in between the two for my diving gear. 8 inch tanks above the head with shelves along with fins ect.. and across hanging my suit. It will have more beef than the original and will allow more ventilation. Where the sink was will be more storage. The bulk head that was in the dining area will stay and be re-tabbed.
I see advantages and disadvantages to both inside and outside chain plates.Like you said " I haven't seen much corrosion". That worries me. Inside with glass instead of wood might be the way I will go. I'll have access and no rot worry.
Still investigating all of my options. That is the advantage of starting from scratch. I can incorporate all of the best options - cost feasible of course.
The steering wheel solution is what I really need to address. My port side will still have a small berth and tucked under will be my batteries. No room for gas.
Also I am a poor person, can't afford gas so I'll rely on the wind and if it storms I'll rely on my boat. And if I have neither I'll find something to pass the time. I'm in no hurry.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook