SailNet Community - View Single Post - SMCM Governor's Cup
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Re: SMCM Governor's Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post
The $180 for a house isn't bad. It's convenient and easy to plan. The $55 for dinner is high, unless they're going back to the fancy food they used to have. The breakfast at the church is worth the price. And it's for a good cause.

The townhouses you can cook in, so you could eat there if you have a lot of crew. They also have dorm rooms which I think aren't as nice for $90/pair. It's the only game in town though, they don't gouge you too much.

My complaint is that it's spread out too much. Even the main tent there was barely anyone there after racing. Lots of people still sleeping, and the steel drums just needed to stop. Honestly, I have more fun during the raft up on the race boats than on shore. For smaller regattas, they cram everyone into a tent or local area so it's easier to find your friends and meet people. ARW and Screwpile have great parties, SBRW is the same. One central location for all racers. Helps the party mood.
I paid for a townhouse the first year I did Gov Cup and stand by my assertion they kinda suck. There wasn't even a decent place to sit on the lower level and the bedrooms weren't much. I'd feel it were a better deal if they allowed you to offer space to crash to your whole crew. An Aerobed on the floor would be better than the beds that are there.

Also, on the lines of your its too spread out complaint, it sux having 4 of your crew in one place, and 1 or 2 more somewhere else, if the crew wants to get a cool nights sleep before heading home on the delivery.

Re: the steel drums I think you've identified a primary reason no one is under/around the tent.

I'm still a few bodies short of what I'd like though I have a bare minimum so I haven't registered yet, but if we do race we'll probably do like last year and head over to Point Lookout marina for some AC to run the AC and sleep on the boat.

Last edited by PalmettoSailor; 07-17-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook