SailNet Community - View Single Post - Solar charge controller question
View Single Post
post #3 of Old 07-17-2013
Plumbean

Re: Solar charge controller question

Well this was timely. I just replaced the controller in my solar panel setup, which is similar to yours. I had an old flexcharge controller and the system was never able to fully charge my batteries. While kicking around the web I came across one of Maine Sail's latest tutorial type posts on his website, relating to solar panel installations. It can be found here: Installing A Small Marine Solar System Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com

I have a LinkLite monitor installed, so I can see relatively accurately what is going on with my batteries. Since installing the new controller (I went with a Genasun) it is like night and day. Before, my 300 amp bank was always at least 30 amps short of being fully charged. Last night, it was 0.5 amps short.

So I can't answer your question about whether the marine ones are different, but I can tell you that going with an MPPT type controller made a huge difference. The Genasun ones weren't that expensive either.

Maine Sail: Thanks again for sharing. The amount of excellent information you have made available has been just tremendous.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome