SailNet Community - View Single Post - Are ALL Sellers LYING MORONIC DOUCHBAGS??
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road
Re: Are ALL Sellers LYING MORONIC DOUCHBAGS??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirious View Post
And from the seller's point of view:

Don't come back with a counter offer 25% lower than asking because it needs x, y and z. I know this, that's why I set the price where it was when put up for sale. Start with the price of a new boat and deduct the value if you think fixing x, y and z should be on my tab or you want them corrected as a condition of sale to make a 25 year old boat like new.

But yes - these flaws should all be mentioned if known. Inventory and age of sales, structural integrity, maintenance history, rotted cores, etc.
And this is where I have a problem. Owners getting bent out of shape by what they perceive as a low ball offer.

This is a negotiation. In negotiation the seller starts high and the buyer starts low. it's the opening bid. That's the way the world works! Nothing to get the short and curlies twisted in a knot over. Buyers can't go down price once they've put an offer out there. The offer can go only one way - up.

As you, the seller, has judged what the boat is worth, I the buyer will make that same judgement. And since it's my money making the deal go to closing, my judgement will prevail. That is - we need to agree. And either we will or we won't.

Regardless, the worst thing a seller can do in a negotiation is get PO'd at a buyer over the opening offer. Geez, got an offer? Any offer? let the game begin!!!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to TJC45 For This Useful Post:
CheckedOutRob (07-20-2013)