SailNet Community - View Single Post - Are ALL Sellers LYING MORONIC DOUCHBAGS??
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road
Re: Are ALL Sellers LYING MORONIC DOUCHBAGS??

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
You don't have a home inspection till after you have agreed on a price. Pretty much the same thing?
That's a good point. My take, generally speaking, is that a home sale is a done deal for more reasons than the house itself. The neighborhood, location, the grounds, school systems etc. Buyers are unlikely to make an offer on a house where they believe a major walk away issue exists. Yet in boatdom, this is the way it's done. Making an offer on a boat, I don't want to be out a $1000 or more just to find out the boat is a pass.

I once was interested in a Pearson 35. Problem was the coach roof was warped by the roof stepped mast bearing down on it. That was an expensive problem to fix. Yet not reflected in the price. "Make an offer and let the surveyor figure it out." OK i do that and he tells me I got good news and i got bad news. The good is that the oak block under the compression post is toast. And that can be fixed. The bad - the cabin roof is permanently torqued so the boat is junk, do i get my $1000 survey fee back?

Not likely!

Last edited by TJC45; 07-17-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook