SailNet Community - View Single Post - What Is A Boat Really Worth?
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Re: What Is A Boat Really Worth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
Okay Bubble, let me explain this, again... Just so you don't get your shorts in a bind, again... And so you don't have to take your interpretation and try to make it fact, again... What I'm doing is sharing some information I've gained from talking to people who will ultimately affect the real life value of a given boat, especially if you need to get a loan. What anyone does with that knowledge is up to them. This is a forum. Sharing information is what forums are for. Are we clear?

But I have to ask... Why do you think all the advice you've been given here is just "folksy sayings and anecdotes"? I think you've discredited some of the members here who offer up useful information that helps a lot of people here.

You really need to apologize.
You completely misinterpreted my statement. I do NOT think the advice you've been given is "folksy anecdotes". I'm saying that YOU have been given the same advice here, but apparently didn't understand or believe what anyone was telling you until you spoke to brokers and surveyors, and suddenly you're here sharing the same wisdom with us that forum members have given you as if you've had some kind of epiphany.

I was utilizing sarcasm when I asked you if you thought the advice you've been given was merely folksy anecdotes. You obviously missed it.

I think you've been given a lot of good advice by people here and I respect their opinions, so no apology to the other members is necessary.

Some of the information you're sharing, is merely opinion and a lot of people in this thread have disagreed with you. I also disagree with you, and I'm not apologizing for it. I've imparted some sarcasm your way, but I hold no malice towards you. I haven't name-called, used profanity or crossed any forum boundaries so an apology isn't forthcoming.

I'll just reiterate an opinion that I've voiced in the past:

In our society, a recreational vessel is not a rational or sound financial decision. Ever. Ever.

On paper, it is a huge financial loss no matter how you try to spin the numbers. The reason for this, is because it is simply impossible to quantify "joy". The joy that you get from sailing. You can't measure, buy or sell joy.

I told you before, that I absolutely respect your desire to make a smart purchase, and not rush into a big, financial (floating) mistake, but you've gone to the total opposite end of the spectrum.

You are rationalizing yourself right out of your dream.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook