SailNet Community - View Single Post - SMCM Governor's Cup
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Re: SMCM Governor's Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
We're not racing this year. My crew fell apart -

I liked the tracker, it really helped us do better knowing what everyone else was doing. I call it "training". They kept us from heading off into the hinterlands with a "better idea". I didn't like when service went down - I would really have liked to identify the gray sailed boat with no running lights that came out of the darkness and almost caused us to do an emergency tack. Would have protested him if I could see a name or sail number or get the data from the tracker.

BTW - The photo for my avatar was taken at the start of last year's race. Love that picture.

Mark
Sorry to hear you won't make it this year. I was wondering where you were. Anyway I share your problems with crew. I'll only have one or possibly two returning crew. I have picked up a couple of knowledgeable cruising sailors so I currently have 4 or maybe 5, but I hope to pick up one or two more.

I also share your frustration with the tacker server going down for "planned maintenance" in the midst of an overnight race. Last year, I had nothing but bad ideas and when I look at the photoboat shots realize our sail trim was for crap, so we were slow from the start and I'm not sure we got any better. I was all into technology last year trying to anticipate the tides and winds and favoring this side or that. This year my plan is to forget all that crap and make sure the boat is pointed south and the sails aren't overtrimmed into a wrinkled mess. If the tracker is up I'll keep and eye on the boats that kicked my butt last year and try to keep up.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook