SailNet Community - View Single Post - Trip planning
Thread: Trip planning
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Trip planning

When I spoke with the marina earlier this week, they said they expect to have all the parts for Dragon Wing some time this week. They didn't say she'd be ready for this weekend, but they didn't say she wouldn't be, either! With any luck, I'll be taking her out for a spin this weekend. If not, well, I still need to start planning how I'm going to get her from Rock Hall, MD to Forked River, NJ. My current plan is to do it over 4 days:

Day 1: Rock Hall to Delaware City, DE
Day 2: Delaware City to Cape May, NJ
Day 3: Cape May to Atlantic City, NJ
Day 4: Atlantic City to Forked River.

I would LOVE this to be 4 consecutive days, but I'm realistic enough to know that it may not happen. That's why I'm trying to be somewhat conservative on these legs. Delaware City will be a nice day from Rock Hall, without really pushing it. The Cape May to AC trip shouldn't be too bad, either (prevailing winds should be with me, with any luck). And the trip up to Forked River from there shouldn't be TOO bad, except for having to cross Barnegat Inlet. That's part of why I was planning to stop at AC; I can set my departure time such that I can catch the inlet at slack tide on a day with good weather.

The big key to the whole trip so far will be timing the transit down the Delaware River. From what I can see in the tide tables, it looks like my best bet would be to try to be in Delaware City around July 30. Any sooner, and the tide ebbs too late in the day and I run the risk of hitting pop-up afternoon thunderstorms during the trip across the bay.

Does that sound right so far?
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook