SailNet Community - View Single Post - Can a keel stub and stringers be repaired (hypothetical)
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2013
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Can a keel stub and stringers be repaired (hypothetical)

Say you had a boat you loved or found a new love. This new love was damaged and "totaled" (hypothetical) I'd never consider such a task; yet I read about boats on the wooden boat forum where they do restore boats doing the same things.

There she is.. on her side.. keel ripped from her bottom. the stub all torn out and the stringers flexed and damaged.

You look, and you think.. and think... You want to save her! You have a brain storm and develop a plan and confidently announce "I CAN DO THIS!"

As your friends, family, yard owner.. slowly back away from you.. the creative wheels start spinning in that marvelous mushroom between your ears.....

Getting things under way;
The yard lifted the boat without keel but you had to build the support system. The keel is set up on a trailer/dolly to roll back under when your ready. But the bolts are gone, twisted, etc.

"They" come by occasionally. Each time you explain your progress and how and why your doing certain things. They kindly listen and nod and look.. don't say much as you explain you plan to make the old girl seaworthy again......

Sawzall in hand.. you start cutting....

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook