Thread: Trip planning
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Re: Trip planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Chesapeake City would be my choice Jim! Free too. Tie up to the dock or drop the hook, walk up the hill to the "Tap Room" in the morning up to the "Bakery" for breakfast. Leave there at or just before flood tide, ride it all way down to the Cape May Canal! (I've not done it in my boat yet LOL)
Can you do this?

The C&D runs according to the flood and ebb of the Chesapeake, so it floods east and ebbs west, which is different from the N.W. flood and S.E. ebb of the Delaware River. You can ride the N.W. flood current up the Delaware River to the C&D, and catch the westward ebb of the C&D and ride South down the Northern Bay for a while.

I believe riding the C&D on a flood will put you out in the Delaware River on a flood.

For example, on July 30th, the west ebb on the C&D starts at 5:26 a.m. With the most favorable timing, if you exit the C&D precisely at this time, you will still have an hour of weakening Delaware River flood, before an hour of slack, and the ebb that starts at 7:21 a.m. The Delaware River current is challenging to your spirit. You will spend hours looking at that dang Salem Nuclear Power Plant.

(The other mistake my family made was going up the Cohanssey River for fuel. Make sure your tanks are full before you head down the Delaware River!)

Last edited by jameswilson29; 07-18-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook