SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting tale of a captain who abandoned vessel
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting tale of a captain who abandoned vessel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
I don't know, "displacing" the integral keel on a boat as stoutly built as a Pearson 365 isn't gonna be easy... If you were gonna choose a boat based solely on its ability to survive an encounter with a sand beach, the underbody of this boat, with the rudder attached to a substantial skeg, would be a pretty good choice...

The rudder still appears to be in decent shape, preparatory to the final tow off...

I'm a bit surprised none of the looters made off with that solar array, that would have been the first thing that might have caught my eye... (grin, bigtime)

Has the boat been towed off or is it still sitting on the beach? Has the owner retained ownership or is the boat salvage?

I agree with Jon, the underbody of this boat is about as good as it gets for this type of situation.

I also agree with Jon, that if i were so inclined to be a looter forget the sneaker collection and hand me a screw driver!!!!!

Interestingly, in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy boat looters in NJ and NY went for the high end electronics first.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook