SailNet Community - View Single Post - What Is A Boat Really Worth?
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Re: What Is A Boat Really Worth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Bubble - I gotta say this is kind of funny coming from you. Remember back in the day when you became "chastened"?
Are you implying that I disregarded advice given to me on this forum, and then showed up later, claiming the same knowledge as if it were brand-new?

"Chastened" was a sarcastic "tip 'o the hat" to SailingDog, SailAway and those folk who were condescending and insulting to all newb sailors who checked into the forum. Those guys had great advice...IF you could sort through their insults and vitriol to get to it. When you and others refused to kiss their behinds in exchange for that knowledge, they left.

I'm not disparaging Julie's sailing ability. In fact, I'm not disparaging her at all.
I'm just saying that she's been offered 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th opinions here, ignored all of it, and now it's gospel because she's spent a weekend with brokers and surveyors.

I am merely voicing my opinion, that her level of caution approaches that of paralysis. Further, my opinion is that she's treating a boat purchase as if it were a car or a home, which I believe is a flawed premise. Several other people seem to agree with my opinion.

I even offered the suggestion of fractional ownership in a sailing club as a way of avoiding the financial "suck-hole" that a boat is.

Am I emotionally invested in her purchase? Nah.
I'm laughing. I'm laughing my a$$ off, because I've watched people chase their tails like this before, and in the end, accomplish nothing. No offense to Julie, but she's got 20+ years on me, and I'm not a young fellow.

I'm reminded of General George C. McClellan who meticulously planned himself into paralysis. Lincoln was forced to remove him from command, because he simply couldn't keep up with the pace of battle the Confederates placed upon him.

Haven't you ever met anyone for whom the "planning" was more exciting than the "doing"? I can think of another, very vocal forum member who fits this description to a "T". They're pretty quiet these days. I'll give you one guess who.

Hey, whatever. It's her time to waste, I'm just enjoying the show.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook