SailNet Community - View Single Post - How Many Have a Liferaft?
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2013

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road
Re: How Many Have a Liferaft?

Ok lets talk about it. I cant see any single reason why you wouldnt want a liferaft, **** happens. The real question is one likely to save you if you have a well maintained boat and are a prudent mariner. Sure there will be all the people who will give the one in a million examples of how a liferaft may have saved someone but for every single savior account there is also a loss account. Read adrift by Steven Calihan. Had he not had a liferaft he would have never written that book or had an ordeal at sea.

What will sink your boat other than lack of maintenance?

Huge storm, if your boat wont survive will your liferaft?

Hitting rocks, most likely poor seamanship, walk to shore.

Being rundown by other boat, good luck on surviving that.

Fire? Poor maintenance, poor seamanship.

rammed by whale? Seriously what are the odds?

hitting container, Scary thought but very unlikely and many well built boats have survived this.

I'm sure 99% of tragedy was owner operate fault but I still would carry one for a false sense of security if I could afford it but its not a priority to me. I prefer a good unsinkable hard dingy as it is always ready to go, that being said, I cant fir one on my boat so I carry an inflatable dingy which I hate. If you look at statistics more people would be saved by wearing helmets than by having a life-raft but I'm not wearing a helmet either.

One last thought, a life-raft and epirb make it way to easy to abandon a boat in a scary situation that more than likely the boat will survive.
Just my 2 cents which is all its worth
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook