SailNet Community - View Single Post - proof of paid sales tax
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road
Re: proof of paid sales tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
This may be way off the point but when cruising in many third world areas it is not uncommon for customs officials to stop by and ask for proof of ownership of stuff on your boat (electronics, etc)

The reason apparently is because there exists a cottage industry of locals importing stuff and selling it to passing boats to generate forex for themselves.

So if you're going out there be sure to have receipts for all your stuff
We have never been boarded here in the Antilles, other than have officials in St. Lucia pull alongside and request to see our entry papers. I've enough stuff aboard without having to have a receipt for every item aboard, especially stuff that was installed before I purchased the boat!
I have yet to visit ANY place where locals can purchase items (not stolen) for less than I can get them if I shop over the internet, at duty free ports such as St. Martin or as bonded stores.
Sounds awful fishy to me.
Interestingly enough, when I bought this boat I tried to register her in SC but they would not register (or take tax???) for a documented vessel. Therefor we sail without having paid sales tax and no state we've visited has even inquired. I know if I hung around Fla. long enough it would be a problem, but that ain't going to happen; Fla is many years in my past, boating wise.

Last edited by capta; 07-18-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook