SailNet Community - View Single Post - How Many Have a Liferaft?
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: How Many Have a Liferaft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
One last thought, a life-raft and epirb make it way to easy to abandon a boat in a scary situation that more than likely the boat will survive.
Just my 2 cents which is all its worth
That's absurb and what are you basing that on...a few media or SN stories your read online. A book you read.

We have a life raft valise, have it packed below. easily grabbed for easy rapid deployment. When we coastal cruise in the ocean we have it strapped on the foredeck. We also have an EPIRB and APBs for the vests.

So you think your VHF and wood dinghy would serve you well 10 miles offshore when your boat sank underneath you? Id rather be in my raft with my dinghy attached to it.

Abandoning ship is never an easy decision, and I have never had to do that thank god. I cant believe others abandon the safety of their boats with the cavalier attitude you attribute to them. In fact those who I have talked to have done so at the last moment when in extreme peril and the boat was lost.

The only talk I have ever heard of it being an easy way out is here by a few posters. Even then other like Doug Sabbatg didn't do it out of convenience.

We carry a raft/ EPIRB because we fell it is an added safety measure to prevent loss of life and let us live longer should we ever frightfully have to be rescued. No thought of the easy way way out. To suggest to others that that is the reason we or others carry them is irresponsible.

BTW...you are new to this game. Look around at the many sailors who are in your area who are serious offshore sailors, see how many have them as well as EPIRBS. Go up personally and ask them "is the reason they carry them so they can get off their boats as soon as it get " scary" as you described.". Have good tracks shoes on

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook