SailNet Community - View Single Post - Trip planning
Thread: Trip planning
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Trip planning

Well I'd restate, to say I have a hard time at night. Yes the canal is like a Highway, but it's still very easy to mistake a barge with tug behind it pushing. Also, most barges are painted black! If you look up you see the bow lights.. and darkness behind them. if your looking from your line of sight 6-10 ft above the water; you may not even see something so large! things are very weird at night for the inexperienced. On Philly's water front anchorage it's strange too. you see lights at the Bow nothing but blackness, then stern lights. I can just imagine how the titanic bridge crew didn't see the iceberg.

I had a almost close encounter about 5 years. heading east on the CD.
We left real early and it was still dark, My son was asleep below, I'm all groggy but awake enough to get under way. Just like above, there was a Big Black BARGE! no noise because the tug was in the back. I just was lucky enough to have looked up and see the lights! Quick swing to starboard and watched the behemoth just go on by. I'm sure the tug crew never had a hint. Son comes up; "what's wrong" he asked; "Almost got run over by a barge" I said. He went down and back to sleep LOL

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook