SailNet Community - View Single Post - Are ALL Sellers LYING MORONIC DOUCHBAGS??
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road
Re: Are ALL Sellers LYING MORONIC DOUCHBAGS??

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
I have to say that I think you are off base in making this assumption. There are a lot of neglected boats out there, that the seller hasn't even looked at in many years. In addition, I can tell you I never inspected any of the boats that I've owned, during the time that I owned them, as carefully as I did before I bought them. What's more, you inspected the boat yourself, probably more closely than the seller has in a long time, and YOU couldn't tell that it was junk. So how can you be so sure that he knew?

Beyond that, I think I'm beginning to get the picture. You could tell that there was a serious problem with the boat. You wanted the seller to tell you just how bad it was. The broker suggested that you should make an offer and get a surveyor to answer that question for you. And you went along.

Sorry to tell you, but you made a mistake. You should not have gone ahead with the survey without getting an answer to your question first. It is most definitely NOT the "normal" process in boat-buying to make an offer when you still have questions for the seller. Perhaps the broker tried to convince you that this is the way it normally works, but it is not.

It is not, offer first, then disclosure later. It is, make a careful inspection, ask your questions, get your answers, make an offer, then get a survey and do a sea trial to reveal whatever might still be hidden. That's the "normal" process.

And yet once again, yes, some sellers and brokers are LMDs. And yet another time, once again, that is a problem with dishonest people, it is not a problem with the boat-buying process. The boat buying process is not backwards.
As i said i didn't "go along." Why would I? The boat had a glaring problem.

I see it as a problem with the process. It has gone the same way with every used large boat i've purchased, The Bene, and both Searays. But with those boats, to use an aircraft saying, there was nothing hanging, nothing dripping. Still i was on my own to discover whatever there was to discover about these boats and bid in the blind. With nothing obvious offers were made, surveys completed and closing those deals was a formality. The Pearson just accentuates the glaring idiocy of this process. While the process works just fine for the normal scratch and dent disclosures of most surveys it doesn't in times where the boat may be better suited for a sawz-all than a listing in Yachtworld.

And, BTW, even used Hobies need to carefully inspected. Something goes wrong on one of those and you could get hurt.

Last edited by TJC45; 07-18-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook