SailNet Community - View Single Post - Very Murky Upper Chesapeake Bay and Tributaries
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Re: Very Murky Upper Chesapeake Bay and Tributaries

Shawn, at one time they had a contractor that was picking the stuff out with a crane, loading it in a dump truck and hauling it to an area near Glenn Cove Marina where he would cut it up for firewood and sell it. That lasted about six months. The next thing they did was just open the spillways and let everything wash downriver. Of course, the power company said they didn't do that, but everyone in the area saw it happen on numerous occasions.

Guess we're stuck with this until the dam finally silts in completely and is no longer functional. This, and other reasons, is the reason I may be moving my boat down the bay next spring. I would have moved this fall, but couldn't get a rebate on what I already paid in slip rent. The marina I'm at is really silted in badly from floodwaters flowing down the Susquehanna River every year. The owners of the marina said they will dredge, if they have the money - same thing they said last fall. It didn't happen, and I seriously doubt that it will happen this fall.

Cheers,

Gary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook