SailNet Community - View Single Post - proof of paid sales tax
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2013
Pearson 31-2 #80 ('87)

Delirious is on a distinguished road
Re: proof of paid sales tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigancruisers View Post
Saw this post on active captain regarding an anchorage in northern Michigan.

"the Conservation Officers who come around to your boat asking to see proof that you paid sales tax on your boat. And when you can't find the reciept for your sales tax payment, issue you a ticket. Quite an experience."

Has anyone else ever had this happen to them?

THE ADMIRAL and I bought a Pearson 27 that was documented (our first) from MA. I transferred the documentation but never registered with NY. (The Coast Guard even says another entity CANNOT issue a vessel number as I recall).

No problem until we tied up at a State Park facility. The Park Police issued me a ticket for operating an unregistered vehicle (would have counted on my DRIVER's license as an infraction). I had 30 days to correct it (register) and present proof to a judge. They did waive the ticket and I have since registered my documented sailboats. They did not have authority to board us. But got me with my feet on land.

NY considers auxiliary sailboats and motorboats as vehicles - and arrests for DWI & DUI. Facists!
Charlie P. P31-2 #80 CATNAP

To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive - R.L. Stevenson

I suspect that, if you should go to the end of the world, you would find somebody there going farther . . . - H.D. Thoreau

Last edited by Delirious; 07-18-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook