SailNet Community - View Single Post - How Many Have a Liferaft?
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: How Many Have a Liferaft?

Hmmm.... no spot for "Portland Pudgy" on your survey. Yup, it's a liferaft, and it beats any of the (hopefully) inflatable options.

I have another angle I'd like to approch this from:
What benefit does a purpose-built liferaft really have over abandoning ship to your regular tender?

I don't think a $7,000 "offshore" liferaft, or my pudgy, or any small craft will save me from a force 11 storm where I have to abandon my boat. In a storm, my boat is my liferaft, and anything else is a hail Mary. But storms are not the only reason to abandon. What I REALLY FEAR, and prepare for as a reason to abandon, is sinking of the mothership by:

-Fire
-Collision with debris
-Collision with another vessel
-Collision with a whale

In all the above examples, your regular tender would work just fine so long as you had some supplies and some kind of sun shade. We are reading our pilot charts and staying away from areas like the Bearing Sea in January right?

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MedSailor; 07-18-2013 at 11:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook