SailNet Community - View Single Post - Got my hands on the new propane outboard today...
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2013

Neosec is on a distinguished road
Re: Got my hands on the new propane outboard today...

Seems like a cool idea. I have a Propane heater (Mr. Heater) that uses disposable green propane bottles. I refill them using an adapter...

The disposable bottles are 3-4 dollars but refilling them costs about 75 cents.
I've had the disposable bottles off-gas a bit out the pressure relief valve as they warmed up after being (over)filled. So be sure to store them in a well ventilated area. Also remember Propane is heavier than air and will sink and pool (as a gas) on the floor or at the bottom of a locker/lazarette if the tank leaks.
Refill these at your own risk as they were not designed for doing so. I've heard the trick to refilling them is to bleed off the gas so the tank fills with liquid propane from an inverted 20lb cylinder...

A bit more info on propane vs gas. This link refers to running a generator but the math is the same for an outboard. Propane has less energy than gasoline so requires more of it to go the same distance...

Excerpts:

· Gasoline 1 gallon = 125,000 BTUs

· Natural Gas 1 CCF = 100,015 BTUs (CCF=100 cubic feet)

· Propane 1 gallon = 91,700 BTUs

Propane approximations
1 gallon = 91,500 BTU
1 cubic foot = 2,500 BTU
1 pound = 21,500 BTU
4.24 lbs = 1 gallon
36.39 cubic feet = 1 gallon

If we then enter the prices:

· ($2.65) x (10) for gasoline; ($.95) x (12.5) for natural gas; or, ($4.00) x (13.6) for propane

The cost for running the generator 24 hours is:

· $26.50 for gasoline; $11.88 for natural gas; or, $54.40 for propane

His propane cost seems high to me but I didn't research it.

The Relative Efficiency of Gasoline, Natural Gas, and Propane Fuels For Back-Up Generators

Propane is neat and clean and if you already has propane on board it seem like a good idea.
oceangirl (07-19-2013)