SailNet Community - View Single Post - What do you have on your cabin sole?
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: What do you have on your cabin sole?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Even then, there are a lot of storage and access points in our sole - I have a hard time considering covering them.
You raise a good point, one of my primary objections to carpets/coverings on cabin soles...

I think it is very important to easily monitor the status of your bilge at a glance, getting into the habit of doing so routinely is a hallmark of good seamanship. I have a large teak grate at the base of my companionway, so any water that shows up in my bilge will become apparent immediately... At the very least, a boat should have an easily accessed hatch over the bilge sump that can be lifted for inspection easily, and without any trouble...

Last boat I ran was a Hallberg-Rassy 43 that a carpet covering most of the sole thoughout the boat... in order to inspect the bilge, it required the entire companionway steps to be removed and set aside, a very tricky and awkward maneuver in a seaway, so that the carpet could be rolled up, and the hatch accessed... An INCREDIBLE PITA, a really piss-poor arrangement on a boat to be sailed offshore, and something rather shocking to see on a boat of such quality...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 07-19-2013 at 08:13 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook