SailNet Community - View Single Post - Are ALL Sellers LYING MORONIC DOUCHBAGS??
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road
Re: Are ALL Sellers LYING MORONIC DOUCHBAGS??

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
In my case of buying my Hunter it was disclosure - offer. I went down and spent a couple of hours on her, checking out everything I possibly could. I found a lot of things that I had questions about. I sent the broker and owner that list, plus a list of many more that would pinpoint potential problems. Their answers to all those questions (about 20 of them) was disclosure prior to offer.

I then made the offer and entered into a contract that was contingent of survey, that stated that the offer was up for renegotiation if deficiencies were found in the survey. They were - and those let me push the purchase price lower than my already low-ball offer. I pushed until the broker got very nervous.

Now, yes, had the owner balked and walked - I would have eaten the costs at that point. But he didn't and we closed the deal and are still in touch. He'll be sailing with me soon. I got a great deal - he got out from under the boat. And I was very satisfied with the disclosure prior to my offer.

I think the system works pretty well.
You and I would get along! This is exactly the way I do it. Check it out, ask questions, make a go - no go decision based on those answers.

That said, i was and am amazed at the number of brokers who answer my questions with 'Make an offer and get a survey." That's the part I have the issue with. Without the answers to those intial questions i'm not sure i want to make an offer. Disclosure - offer

BTW, i went on the blog and chked out the pixs of your boat. You did well!!! That puppy is gorgeous!!!!

Nicely done!

Last edited by TJC45; 07-19-2013 at 08:33 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to TJC45 For This Useful Post:
smackdaddy (07-19-2013)