SailNet Community - View Single Post - What Is A Boat Really Worth?
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2013

sailpower is on a distinguished road
Re: What Is A Boat Really Worth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
I can't say a lot of how I think this will go because that would require me to put words in the broker's mouth. But, if I was the broker, I'd take the information we provided the broker to the owner and let the owner know he has buyers now who are serious but they know what's on the market and his boat is considerably overpriced. (We showed him comps and let him know we're aware of the costs of putting this boat on the same playing field as the others.) If the owner stands firm, then he'll have to wait for someone who buys solely on emotion and wants to pay cash.

But if the buyer really wants to sell and recognizes what other boats are offering, he might feel a price adjustment is in order. I'd rather approach it that way than throw a number at him before he's nudged to seriously look at other E38s on the market and compares apples to apples, to whatever degree that's possible.
What you are suggesting is that the seller should negotiate against himself because the “serious buyer" says that his boat is priced too high even though the “serious buyer" is not ready to make an offer.

The broker should certainly get you the answers to your questions but the rest of it?

Who would do that?

It doesn’t cost you anything to make an offer of whatever amount you wish. With that offer the seller knows that if he signs it he has a deal. Your way is just a conversation. The seller has no way of knowing what your intentions are and he doesn’t know you.

Good luck.

Last edited by sailpower; 07-19-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook