SailNet Community - View Single Post - What do you have on your cabin sole?
View Single Post
post #50 of Old 07-19-2013
mark2gmtrans
sailing soon

Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans
Re: What do you have on your cabin sole?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvuyxx View Post
There is no doubt that wood is prettier. I wish that I had a beautiful wood cabin sole, but even with the amount of restoration that I've done over the last four years, I doubt that I will ever get around ot laying down that wood.

If I can find a soft indoor outdoor carpet that is removeable, that seems like a good solution. You could take it off the boat, hose and defumigate each season.

I've seen some edge-to-edge removeable carpet that stays in place because of its shape and has cutout areas that you can pull back for bilge and storage compartments.
I would think that you would be able to get it cut to size and shaped to fit, maybe someplace that does car upholstery could do it, also a rolled edge that is stitched would help a lot on keeping it in place and making it easier to clean. I know teak and holly are expensive, there are some alternatives that are not as much, but anything that goes on a boat is somehow worth more if they find out it is going on a boat haha.

It is good to learn from your mistakes, but much better to learn from the mistakes of others...
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome