SailNet Community - View Single Post - What do you have on your cabin sole?
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans
Re: What do you have on your cabin sole?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvuyxx View Post
There is no doubt that wood is prettier. I wish that I had a beautiful wood cabin sole, but even with the amount of restoration that I've done over the last four years, I doubt that I will ever get around ot laying down that wood.

If I can find a soft indoor outdoor carpet that is removeable, that seems like a good solution. You could take it off the boat, hose and defumigate each season.

I've seen some edge-to-edge removeable carpet that stays in place because of its shape and has cutout areas that you can pull back for bilge and storage compartments.
I would think that you would be able to get it cut to size and shaped to fit, maybe someplace that does car upholstery could do it, also a rolled edge that is stitched would help a lot on keeping it in place and making it easier to clean. I know teak and holly are expensive, there are some alternatives that are not as much, but anything that goes on a boat is somehow worth more if they find out it is going on a boat haha.