SailNet Community - View Single Post - Curious what you all think of this video
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road
Re: Curious what you all think of this video

Quote:
to think about 12 dudes or more in total counting both crews, concurred on the move. Like a conspiracy to be a$$ holes.
I don't know many race programs that are democracies! I am sure there were guys on the boat that were uncomfortable with the decision, but in the end it is the skipper and tactician that make the call.

Quote:
So am I wrong in my assessment that all of the Optis who hadn't rounded the mark were on starboard tack, and were the leeward boats, and all of the optis who had gone around the mark were being overtaken, and so, every opti that that those Melges boats barged in on had rights, and he fouled like, a couple dozen boats inside of 30 seconds?
Certainly they didn't have right of way, but it is hard to tell if they actually fouled anyone. There was no collision or contact that I can see, and I didn't see anyone who had to alter course to avoid them. It looks like they shot through a gap in the fleet. The camera angle can be deceiving; it is very possible that they had a lot more room than it appears in the vid.

Quote:
It is not relevant which boats had what rights the big boat operators where stronzi (@$$holes).
Perhaps, but unfortunately there is no rule against being an A-Hole!

Quote:
Personally, I hope the ISAF steps in the flicks a couple of the Melges, but I'm not holding my breath.
I doubt the ISAF could do anything about it. If the race instructions did not exclude that piece of water from the course, and they followed the right of way rules, they haven't technically done anything wrong. If they had been involved in a collision, or some of the Optis were forced to take evasive action even though they had right of way, then the race committee may be able to penalize them, but the ISAF does not run the regatta.
Hull#101
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook