SailNet Community - View Single Post - Curious what you all think of this video
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2013

Plumbean is on a distinguished road
Re: Curious what you all think of this video

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
I doubt the ISAF could do anything about it. If the race instructions did not exclude that piece of water from the course, and they followed the right of way rules, they haven't technically done anything wrong. If they had been involved in a collision, or some of the Optis were forced to take evasive action even though they had right of way, then the race committee may be able to penalize them, but the ISAF does not run the regatta.
If you have lots of time on your hands, you can wade through the SA thread on this. It includes first hand accounts, including from one Opti sailor saying he had to alter course to avoid getting hit by a port tack Melges, and also indicating that another Opti sailor had his burgee ripped off by a flailing spin sheet from one of the Melges. Also some pretty damning photos, even taking into account camera angles, telephoto foreshortening, etc.

There is also correspondence between the the Opti and Melges classes, copying the ISAF and making rumblings about Rule 69 violations.

Like I said, I'm not holding my breath. See: Ben Ainslie.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook