SailNet Community - View Single Post - What Is A Boat Really Worth?
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2013

sailpower is on a distinguished road
Re: What Is A Boat Really Worth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor
I realize it costs nothing to make an offer but would you make an offer on a boat that is priced $10K+ more than boats that, compared to this one, are loaded to the gills? It makes no sense to enter into a sales contract that is not only is listed $10K+ more but that would cost about another $10K to bring up to snuff with the other boats. Not when there's other boats you could buy and save that $20K.
Sure I would. If I was sure about wanting that type of boat I would make the offer that was comfortable for me taking all into account. I have done it a few times.

Quote:
What I was suggesting is since the broker almost certainly told the seller he was going to show the boat, and since the seller will most certainly ask the broker how it went, the broker might inform the seller his boat is overpriced, compared to what's on the market today. What the seller does from there is his business. It's not my job to show him the light.
Youíll show him how to negotiate! Got it!

Quote:
If for some reason our trip east has us coming back empty handed, and the seller of the first E38 we looked at has adjusted his price, we might go back and make an offer. But we aren't going to enter into the offer phase on that boat when we still have many other boats we want to see, and all are better equipped.

It been said time and time again here, "Buy a boat that has everything you want on it, or as close to that as you can get, so you can enjoy sailing rather than pouring money into her and being stuck in the harbor fixing her up." That, to me, is excellent advice. I plan to keep my focus in that direction.

But as far as the E38-200, I really like the design, the layout and what I could glean about the build quality. The SO? Not sold like me. We'll be seeing other type boat.
That is all great. Course itís the reason why the seller of the local boat wouldn't be taking you seriously at this point.

When you have looked around some more you might decide that a local fresh water boat that is located where you want to boat has some value at some price. Or you may not. This isnít something that you have to decide right away. There will always be water. Get that spreadsheet out!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook