SailNet Community - View Single Post - Prepping a boat for cruising abroad.
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2007

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Hello Joe,

The Caribbean is a big place, it might help if you narrowed down your geographic area a bit. But here's my story - I opted to purchase a used boat and found that used ex-charter boats are a good deal (n.b. that this is a heavily contested point in this forum and many here avoid ex-charter boats like the plague). After checking out the market on the internet using sites such as Yachtworld I found that the BVI had the largest selection of well-priced boats and flew out there in August during the hurricane season, i.e. when the prices were still low. I looked at many boats [about 40] and ended up getting a 3-year old 43" Jeanneau from Sunsail's Platinum fleet.

The boat is sufficiently equipped as an ex-charter boat for normal travel without having to add or repair anything, since my nasty-tempered Surveyor ensured a good final condition. The BVI is rather expensive when it comes to labour, chandlers and electronics, but St. Maartin is only 90nm upwind and offers a lot of services and supplies - all duty free! You can check out the prices and availability online at two of the biggest Caribbean chandleries Budget Marine and Island Water World. My purchases at Budget Marine probably helped put the owner's kids through college - but they were very friendly and helpful and I would recommend them unconditionally (on a side note my freshly purchased dinghy and outboard was stolen the night of my purchase there - but that wasn't their fault and they gave me a discount when I went back the next day to get another!).

Regarding getting electronics through customs I'm sure that others will explain how they managed the "yacht in transit" part - I only have a vague idea of how that is done as I haven't had to do it (yet).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Zanshin; 01-23-2007 at 07:32 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook