SailNet Community - View Single Post - I want to learn to sail in the Bay Area!
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2013

jephotog is on a distinguished road
Re: I want to learn to sail in the Bay Area!

I learned to sail at the Cal sailing club, kind of. I was teaching sailing at a camp and the guy on the pier next to me when I was teaching canoeing was teaching sailing. He taught me to sail so he could sit on the docks and I could go sailing.

When I moved back the to east bay I joined Cal Sailing. In the mean time I had broken my ankle and was in a cast. After joining the person in the office cruised me around the corner and dropped me off in a Pearson ensign. It was typical bay area winds (big) and I was in a cast (anchor). The waves were coming over the side in the choppy water. It was the only time I was afraid in a sailboat. Somehow I would still highly recommend this club.

It was cheap and unorganized, the standards were high (I remember one of the standards was to be able to sail the Lido 14s without rudder in high winds). The clubs book was Royces Illustrated. You can learn what you need to sail form this simple book. Learning to sail at the club may take a bit of patience but it can happen.

If you got more money join another club or pay a school to teach you. The other option is to go to the dock on a day or night when it is racing and blowing hard and volunteer your services as moveable ballast. Hang out enough and you will learn to race and eventually learn to sail. This plus a lot of reading is how i learned to sail.

If you have more money than time take a class or join a high class club, but if you have patience you can learn to sail for nearly free.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook