SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pros and cons of steel sailboats
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Out:
Took me a couple of minutes to figure out who "Al" was.

I like alu from a designer's point of view. I can integrate the structures easily and I can get a very good handle on the weights. I can also control the shaping of the deck structures better with alu compared to steel and I like to produce good looking boats. If I were choosing my own boat I would go composite like you for ease of maintenance.

Here is one of my favorite Perry alu boats. This is YONI built at Jespersens in BC. It has inside steering and is an extremely well built boat. It's about as far from the Value Village approach that BS preaches as you can get. This client did not want a cheap boat. He wanted a great boat. I tell the complete story of this design in my book.

I added the deck plan and sail plan drawings. These are some of the very last hand drawn drawings I produced. They are pencil and ink on 4 mil mylar. I worked hard from the time I was a kid to master hand drafting. Chuck Paine gives me a veryu nice call out on my drafting in his own book. I'm proud of this skill although I will most probably never use it again.

I added the General Construction drawing. This drawing was augmented by a framing drawing and a plating layout drawing. I don't have those digitized.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yoni S.jpg (69.1 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg EDEN 50 SP.jpg (33.2 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg YONI deck pl S.jpg (55.2 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg YONI construct.jpg (49.2 KB, 31 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site

Last edited by bobperry; 07-20-2013 at 05:39 PM.